Swift's New Desktop PC!

C_Hawk14

Miner
Dec 11, 2012
You can try to play stuff with WINE - Wine Is Not an Emulator (which it is) - but to be sure, just check if the game runs on Linux (mostly Ubuntu only, iirc)

Swiftflight

Just a Mod
Blue Mod
Donor Level 2
Aug 8, 2013
Kalopsia
So... insurance might be fruitful... me excited. Will keep you guys updated... unless you don't really care... than I won't... but eh.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
I believe steam runs native on Linux now as well. Many games within steam run on linux, but not all.

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
Meanwhile, I'm trying to get this processor:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8320FRHKBOX-FX-8320-8-Core-Black/dp/B009O7YU56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425659214&sr=8-4&keywords=processor+amd+fx+8350
Good idea? Or bad? My motherboard is already AMD, so I'm unfortunately stuck with that unless I pay more for an intel board.
I don't know much about AMD. All I know is that they make great processors if your applications support multi threading/cores. An 8 core looks good to have but could you get a 4 core at a much higher clock speed at around the same price?

C_Hawk14

Miner
Dec 11, 2012
I guess you need to install SteamOS to play games on Linux.
What fffizzz mentioned has 41 pages of games (75 if you don't select 'games' in the filter) for Linux and man.. the names on the first page are quite big games. Sorted by price however, I had to go to the 14th page to see the first game below $10, and there were still very decent games from there on, Portal, Half-Life, FTL, CS:Source. Also, 3 and a half page of F2P games. sorted by reviews: page 32 has the first 'mixed' tag

Conclusion: Definately enough games to play without paying Microsoft, for Windows that is :)

You could also get Windows by other means ofc. Also, there are a lot of other programs one could need, like Photoshop and all associated programs, which are free.
It depends on what you want to do, but I think Linux has an alternative for everything, even though it may not have all features (not all games windows has, programs like GIMP (alternative for Photoshop) might not have all the functions PS has.)

In the end it's up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swiftflight