Open Beta Testing of a New Plugin

Discussion in 'Announcements and News' started by Tercept, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tercept

Tercept
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Adman Donor Level 5

We have a new plugin open for testing. If players like it and it is not gamebreaking it will stay.

All players should have access to the plugin as of now except for two commands:
    • /stb recipe (Broken atm, contacting dev)
    • /stb rename
    Sensible Toolbox (hereafter referred to as STB) adds a ton of new functionality and this guide should give you a good overview of what to expect. More detailed information about each item, block and system is included in the Items section.

To get started, get yourself a Recipe Book. Since STB adds many recipes, this item will make your life very much easier when trying to craft or obtain stuff. Just get a book and a crafting table, and combine them (shapeless), to get the Recipe Book. Hold it in your hand, and right-click.

[​IMG]

The resulting popup window shows every single craftable item in the game, including furnace recipes. The bottom row of the GUI window includes several buttons: in the bottom right are buttons to skip to the next and previous pages of recipes. Bottom left is an indicator showing the recipe page you're on (a typical server will have around 9 pages, but it could be more if you've added other plugins which add recipes), as well as a toggle button to display all recipes, vanilla recipes only, or STB recipes only.

Clicking on a craftable item will switch the book to displaying the recipe window for that item. There could be multiple recipes for creating an item; in that case you'll see two buttons on the left and right-hand edges for cycling through the recipes. Bottom right is a button to take you back to the item list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also click on items in the recipe window to drill further down (e.g. when viewing the recipe for a piston, you can click on one of the wood blocks to see how they're made). In that case, a second button will appear in the bottom right to go back to the previous recipe. You can drill as far down as you like, which could be many levels for some complex recipes.

You can search for a particular recipe too; with a Recipe Book anywhere in your inventory, type /stb recipe <search-term> where search-term is any string you want to search for. E.g. stb recipe wood will show recipes for all items with "wood" in the item name. When you're in search mode, you'll see another button bottom left indicating the active search filter; you can click it to clear the filter and display all items again.

Another useful feature of the Recipe Book is automatic item fabrication. If you right click the book on a crafting table (or have a crafting table targeted and close enough when using stb recipe ...), another button will be available on the bottom row of the recipe view: Fabricate. Clicking this will automatically make the item for you, if you have the materials. If you don't, you'll be told what's missing. If you have the stb.fabricate.free permission node (true for ops by default), then you don't need to have the materials.

If you take your recipe book and craft it together with a diamond, you'll get the Advanced Recipe Book. This acts very much like the basic recipe book, with one important advantage: in fabrication mode, crafting ingredients can also be pulled from any inventory (vanilla or STB) that is adjacent to the crafting table.

So, for example, you can fill a chest with cobblestone, wood, iron ingots and redstone, then put a workbench beside it, target that workbench and type /stb recipe piston, and fabricate pistons from the ingredients in the chest!

#1 Tercept, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Mikemer456

Mikemer456
    Expand Collapse
    Builder

Nice. I love the idea, its a lot like NEI (Not enough items). Very good addition.

3. Swiftflight

Swiftflight
    Expand Collapse
    Customizable Snow Mod
    Donor Level 2

Plugins are just amazing...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ynefpavlov

ynefpavlov
    Expand Collapse
    Town Designer
    Content Creator

Am I going to be the first to say I don't like it? xD

I thought the server was trying to aim for a more vanilla feel. This however makes crafting a lot less labour intensive or however I should call it.

The idea of moving adminshops to a far-away town was to get people to actually play the game and travel to destinations instead of endless commands. This new plugin is directly doing the opposite by adding new commands players can use!

Don't understand me wrong, I do love awesome plugins, but I don't like ones that introduce commands and (in my opinion) spoil the fun of actually playing the game.

Maybe the Brewery plugin isn't the right example because of the alcoholic aspect of it, but that plugin adds a minimum of commands, but introduces a whole new world of stuff that fits in the game. I would like to see a similar plugin to that! :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. T_E_S

T_E_S
    Expand Collapse
    Builder

After looking at the plugin in game, I agree with everything you say here! :)

6. Tercept

Tercept
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Adman Donor Level 5

I don't understand. The Brewery plugin added in new items that changes the gameplay just like this plugin does.

There are no new commands except the rename and recipe commands.

There are new items like elevators, autobuilders (builds a pattern automatically like walls) the combine tools, electricity, paintbrushes, paint cans and such.

There is no teleporting, fast travel, or shops associated with this. I can easily disable the parts of the plugin if need be. The commands shown in the video are only for OP. The creator did it that way to show things faster. Everything in the book has to be crafted using supplies

The plugin is in an open beta for players to test it and mods to observe the actions. Currently a lot of players are judging it before even trying it out.

7. Hestehaven

Hestehaven
    Expand Collapse
    Trial Mod
    Trial Mod Content Creator

At first I found this plugin awesome and thought it had some cool features and it still have that. But as Ynef mentioned, then this seems like a big step in the other direction of a more vanilla minecraft game. Ever since I rejoined the idea of mmc, was it should be more vanilla minecraft like and not even /home was there anymore.
    The plugin has a big amount of opportunities and could be really nice that I have to say, but I also have to back up Ynef about this plugin steps away from vanilla minecraft and seems silly compared to what you worked on since you changed gameplan. .

8. Hestehaven

Hestehaven
    Expand Collapse
    Trial Mod
    Trial Mod Content Creator

I have to add, that I find the recipe book awesome, so people don't have to ask for how to make this or they have to go check wiki all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheWolfsHeart

TheWolfsHeart
    Expand Collapse
    Server Psychopath
    Donor Level 3 Content Creator

As much as I love the idea of having an in-game NEI, it's a bit more overly complicated then just downloading Forge and doing it that way. Of course, I know that not everyone can download it / wants to download it, and that's fine. But with plugins like this, it does actually take away from the Vanilla feel of the game. Minimaps are nice as a way of keeping things marked. Something that's normally a bitch in Minecraft. This would be nice for me when I craft stacks of hoppers at a time...But then again, NEI already has me covered on that [Even if it is buggy due to NoCheat, and the current Beta of Forge.]

I'll at least say I'm not 100% against it, but more of a conflicted 60/40. I'm 60% away from it, simply because of the reasons Ynef posted. It's a major step away from the Vanilla feel we've all been trying so hard to get. Pets are good for one thing, and that's traveling. The added enchantments, good for keeping interest in the game / something WORTHWHILE to spend money on.

I'm 40% for this, simply because it doesn't seem entirely like a bad idea as far as crafting goes. But the rest doesn't seem entirely necessary. Elevators are nice, but I could simply build one, or use stairs like a normal person [Euuugh..] The pattern builder I can see being good for town builds, but then you lose a bit of that satisfaction of building it all yourself with a block essentially copies it for you given a template. Electricity is SERIOUSLY stretching it. I mean, SEEEERIOUSLY stretching it. Electricity and magic are the two things that can ultimately change a vanilla server from being VANILLA, to basically a Modded Wannabe. I would rather eat my brand vanilla, then a no-brand, cheap knockoff of modded.

Paint cans and paintbrushes are seemingly harmless, especially if they just edit color-able blocks. In fact, I've had times where I haven't had the right wool [Black for instance] but had TONS of any other color. It would be nice to be able to change the colors of wool as I go. Y'know?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. T_E_S

T_E_S
    Expand Collapse
    Builder

@Tercept

Brewery plugin adds features like brews that are fun to play with. The player doesn't get any adventages.

This plugin adds watering things so you can farm faster, auto building things that make building faster and other stuff like that.

Atleast, I think thats what @ynefpavlov means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tercept

Tercept
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Adman Donor Level 5

Again, This is for testing.

Question is now would you guys rather keep the plugin for the book but disable a majority of the new features (electricity, farming tools etc..) and keep some (painting, the recipe book) or just remove it altogether?

12. roewaid

roewaid
    Expand Collapse
    Builder

I think something like farm improvement is to much. You already get better at farming with mcmmo

13. ynefpavlov

ynefpavlov
    Expand Collapse
    Town Designer
    Content Creator

I think the craftingbook is fine and some harmless new recipes would be cool, but I agree with Roewaid that mcMMO already gives advantages for certain skills.

Also @Tercept, I commented before experiencing the plugin myself. That was wrong of me and I should take some time using it... I'm sorry

However I think automated machines and stuff do move quite far from the vanilla minecraft. This sure has a lot to offer and experiment with. I bet its fun and all, but it affects gameplay too much in my opinion. The risk of creating flaws in the economy grows, only a select few may master the plugin and its possibilties, therefore putting especially new players or less active players further behind.

14. Tercept

Tercept
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Adman Donor Level 5

Plugin has been removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.