Mcmmo Revisited

crhyoyo

Grand Explorer
Dec 15, 2012
I just wanted to post up a thread and see if there was any interest in adding mcmmo to the server once more. I also wanted to provide some input as to how it could be added and not ruin everything like the last attempt to add it.

For those of you that do not know what mcmmo is here is a link.
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/mcmmo/

Here is the mcmmo wiki for thoese that want to learn a bit about the skills.
http://mcmmo.wikia.com/wiki/McMMO_Wiki

For those of you too lazy to go to the link and read, here is a short description. Mcmmo is a rpg based plugin that adds many different skills to minecraft such as fishing, herblore, taming, and many many more. Players level these skills up by doing tasks according to the skill such as breaking crops for herblore, taming dogs and having them attack mobs for taming, and catching fish for fishing. These skills all have benefits and special unlocks at certain levels such as a chance for double drop when breaking a crop, or higher health for dogs, or a chance for better catches while fishing.

tldr; rpg based plugin that adds tons of cool skills.

Now I know there may be some concerns about adding mcmmo from you admins and mods. The last time mcmmo was added it decimated the economy. I have a few balancing tips that I have picked up over four years of playing with mcmmo so that this does not happen again.

First off, completely disable archey, swords, axes, and unarmed. These skills are what I like to call, "kill more" skills. Their only purpose is to increase damage that is dealt and to add a few affects to pvp and mob based killing. I belive that having these skills AND having enchantments makes pvp a mess and as such, should be disabled. Disabling these four skills will also balance the playing field between someone who is on the server constantly and a new person who has just joined.

Second off, nerf xp gain. This one is quite short, the default xp gain is quite quick and should be nerfed depending on what you admins see fit. This also lengthens map life by making sure everyone is not maxed in a few months.

Third off, the fishing skill and the repair skill have a very dangerous combo. there is an ability called salvaging that you unlock at level 600 repair, it allows you to take any item made out of iron/diamond and break it down back into its components. The fishing skill has an ability that gives you a chance to catch iron/gold/diamond armor, weapons, and tools. This combo gives you an infinite supply of said materials and can be very bad if not nerfed. The only thing needed to break this combo is the removal of the salvaging ability.

These are all the balancing tips I can think of off the top of my head. These need not be followed strictly but they are some tips that I have just picked up along the way. If it was added I would be happy to answer any questions that may be had by staff about potential exploits and nerfing.

All in all, I think mcmmo is an amazing plugin. It adds longevity to a map as well as a competitive factor due to everyone trying to outdo each other. When handled correctly and nerfed in just a few areas, I think mcmmo is a welcome addition to any server setup.

Reactions: Swiftflight

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
I would entertain the idea of bringing it back. Someone mentioned doing a bit of research and tweaking before we do anything though.

crhyoyo

Grand Explorer
Dec 15, 2012
Last time mcmmo was added, it was added very poorly. The plugin does need a bit of research before you add it, but if you do the bit of research everything is just peachy. As I said I have played with mcmmo on multiple server over teh years so I also have a bit of knowledge on what is broken and what is not. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

TheWolfsHeart

Server Psychopath
Vet Mod
Donor Level 3
Dec 10, 2012
There are a lot of parts in MCMMO that are just...So easy. These include tree-cutting, well...Personally, all of it is fairly easy. Agreed. Research into the whole MCMMO would be useful. I'll see what I can do to assist as well, and if we can crank the difficulty up a few notches, then it'd be a bit better.

crhyoyo

Grand Explorer
Dec 15, 2012
The plugin is very modifiable. Lots of aspects can be tweaked and or completely removed. The tree cutting thing is already a donor perks so the ability in the woodcutting skill would need to be removed.

tTheoRyy

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
Silent Earth: 3
I'm pretty sure this was discussed in a thread about a week or two ago. The tl;dr version was it's broken as fuck in a PVP environment and only helps the neckbeards dump on the casuals' faces even harder.

crhyoyo

Grand Explorer
Dec 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure this was discussed in a thread about a week or two ago. The tl;dr version was it's broken as fuck in a PVP environment and only helps the neckbeards dump on the casuals' faces even harder.
Do you possess a non passive aggressive bone in your body?

Last edited:

Epic_Ninja66

Conquistador
Dec 10, 2012
Ascension
I personally think it would be better to drop combat enchantments for those items you first listed and keep the skills. That successfully worked when enchantments were blocked in our last successful mcmmo world. (1.2 HC). As long as no one finds loop holes to enchant with, *cough*twister*cough* we should be good. It makes pvp more enjoyable then just regular enchantments.

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
I would like to say we have things still in the works but releases will be slowing down due to Minecraft updating. We are always hesitant to release new content when it might not carry over to the next update.

Rio_fickle

Sexy Vet Mod
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
I'm fine with having MMCMO back as long as the proper things are disabled, as I remember it being entirely OP on some things. which you spoke of above, I salute your idea.

Mikemer456

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
I will personally bring with me an elite group of players to slay anyone who decides to dedicate their days on the server to fishing.

BEWARE CRHYOYO. IMMINENT DEATH FOR YOU.

xFLxTw1ster

The Bane of Your Existence
Dec 18, 2012
I personally think it would be better to drop combat enchantments for those items you first listed and keep the skills. That successfully worked when enchantments were blocked in our last successful mcmmo world. (1.2 HC). As long as no one finds loop holes to enchant with, *cough*twister*cough* we should be good. It makes pvp more enjoyable then just regular enchantments.
I am still here you know :p

xFLxTw1ster

The Bane of Your Existence
Dec 18, 2012
Fish is life. We had a bad ass set-up though for fishing. It was pretty damn creative, and industrialized .

Shane

He's the Shane, man.
Dec 16, 2012
Upstate New York, United States
Fish is life. We had a bad ass set-up though for fishing. It was pretty damn creative, and industrialized .
I don't know, I'd say it's about as industrialized as Germany was entering the 20th century, which is still pretty industrialized, but not quite as industrialized as the United States or Great Britain. Though, I will give to you that before your design came around, we were about as industrialized as Russia before their communist revolution, which isn't to say it's much less industrialized than Russia after their communist revolution. Regardless, it was still a pretty good design. My design was far less industrialized, much more like Japan while it was still working it's way up after several centuries of only Dutch communication. Your design was definitely a great one though.

Swiftflight

Just a Mod
Blue Mod
Donor Level 2
Aug 8, 2013
Kalopsia
I don't know, I'd say it's about as industrialized as Germany was entering the 20th century, which is still pretty industrialized, but not quite as industrialized as the United States or Great Britain. Though, I will give to you that before your design came around, we were about as industrialized as Russia before their communist revolution, which isn't to say it's much less industrialized than Russia after their communist revolution. Regardless, it was still a pretty good design. My design was far less industrialized, much more like Japan while it was still working it's way up after several centuries of only Dutch communication. Your design was definitely a great one though.
^^
This man is almost as rich in history as me...