expanding town

roewaid

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
Hi guys,

I wanted to expand my town Palmetto with extra town blocks.
but then I got the message: the field has sub-fields inside of it thus cannot be redifined.
so I cant expand town as long as there are plots in town. this sounds a bit strange to me.
does anyone know if it is possible to expand town without having to remove all town plot blocks?
I tried turning off the plot blocks and then expanding but that didnt work either.

Roewaid

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
It's not possible... The best advice I can give is to place a new city block outside the current borders to expand the town.

It's the one issue we have and the only way we would be able to get rid of it is to make city plots be place able anywhere which defeats their purpose.

A vetmod or an admin could use commands to resize it however it is gltichy and not permanent

roewaid

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
I only got 2 plots for now so I will remove them.
But can you guys contact the maker of ps or something to do something about it.

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
I only got 2 plots for now so I will remove them.
But can you guys contact the maker of ps or something to do something about it.
I know why it is not implemented. Basically there are commands to also resize your town. What if someone makes their town a size where a plot ends up outside the border of the city? Could get very buggy.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
I wasnt aware of this issue. I'll see what I can dig up, but what Tercept said makes sense and sounds like he's already been looking into it.

Mikemer456

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
I wish the makers of PS would go a little more in depth with this problem. If a town protection block is being resized atleast make it so that you cannot downsize and you must only increase total volume to keep sub fields.

fffizzz

Administrator
Adman
Dec 10, 2012
Mike: do me a favor, make a detailed post of the problem, as detailed as possible about what the problem is and how to replicate, etc. I will post a bug report/feature request to the dev. Since I'm not intemently aware of the problem, I can't accurately describe it.

Mikemer456

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
When resizing your main town protection block you must first delete ALL sub-fields within the already claimed town protection area. This includes town plots. So basically you are stuck with your current town size until you remove your town plots from all the people that own them.

It is not a bug. It was an intended feature to prevent town mayors from actually deleting their whole town. But like I said before, a good safety feature would be to just not allow decreasing/deleting total volume unless you have gotten rid of all sub-fields. Only to allow increase if you still want to keep your sub-fields.

Last edited:

Tercept

Administrator
Adman
Donor Level 5
Dec 10, 2012
I wish the makers of PS would go a little more in depth with this problem. If a town protection block is being resized atleast make it so that you cannot downsize and you must only increase total volume to keep sub fields.
The issue here (while I agree this should happen) is you have the ability to increase/decrease height and width. The dev will have to check every plot field inside that city field to make sure the plot field completely exists inside the city field (not just the block). Counting that the fields can be resized (and even configured to be circles in the config!) this will be really intensive to do. This is why I understand why the dev hasn't implemented this.

This only happens because city plot fields REQUIRE City fields. If it were any other field it wouldn't matter.

Mikemer456

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
This only happens because city plot fields REQUIRE City fields. If it were any other field it wouldn't matter.
It would defeat the purpose if we allowed plots outside of towns. We all know thats not gonna change. I hope.

Rockon101000

MelonGod
Donor Level 3
Jan 24, 2013
The Mesa Biome
www.youtube.com
Do city plot fields have to be placed in a grid? In the past I ran a town on a towny server, and disliked the grid based town setup. It's silly and adds a needless requirement. I'd like to make a town where town members can build a house anywhere and then have the personal plot centered on their house after it's built. This is a nice way to build a town that works around it's settlers, and not the other way around. So is this possible with Town plots?

Mikemer456

Builder
Dec 10, 2012
Do city plot fields have to be placed in a grid? In the past I ran a town on a towny server, and disliked the grid based town setup. It's silly and adds a needless requirement. I'd like to make a town where town members can build a house anywhere and then have the personal plot centered on their house after it's built. This is a nice way to build a town that works around it's settlers, and not the other way around. So is this possible with Town plots?
Yes. Length, width, and height are all completely customizable. You can make hotels for people to rent out rooms if you wanted.